About Nellenby

A while back I created a cast of characters and placed them in a fictitious place called Nellenby. I no longer create Nellenby art but it has a special place in my heart.

I was completely immersed in this world for a long time. I put it aside for some years, then I came back to it. Now after quite a few years away I am back again. It's a bit of a mystery to me who these characters are but I do know they must be inspired by growing up in a large, wonderful messy family with a lot of quirky characters. I'll write more about that later. But, for now, I want to share the family of "Lena". Lena is a little lion who also is growing up in a large family. I started a story called "Lena's new school'. Her family wants her to go to a new school and she isn't happy about it. Here are some pictures from the story. I found the storyboard but cannot find the actual story with words. I just have all of my sketches. 

 Lena's family gathers around her as she prepares reluctantly to get ready for school.

Lena roars in frustration!

In the next scene, Lena growls mightily and everyone is surprised.

Lena is about to board the bus to the new school for the first time.

Lena is about to board the bus to the new school for the first time. (bus driver looks optimistically at all the darling children)

The kids on the bus are a bit wild. Lena makes friends with Ellie the elephant.

The kids on the bus are a bit wild. Lena makes friends with Ellie the elephant. (bus driver looks stressed!)

Lena tour of Founders Hall

Students arrive at school and the Principal takes them on a tour of Founders Hall. Lena is nervous in this new place but things are going well because she has a new friend.

In the classroom the students settle in (sort of). Mr Flamingo the Classics teacher peaks in.

In the classroom the students settle in (sort of). Mr Flamingo the Classics teacher peaks in. (inspired by my year at Girls Latin School in Boston - ok, not totally accurate as there were no boys and mostly everyone was behaved!)

More to come...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maine watercolor workshop with Frank Eber

Sketching at Lake Cochituate

Plein air sketching at a New England farm